- 14 Jun
Cleaning Tips for Allergy Season
Spring is finally here and with warm weather comes pollen. Although pollen is paramount to our circle of life more than 50 million Americans have or are currently suffering from allergies each year. This is a significant statistic that can ultimately decrease with these simple cleaning tips below:
1. Vacuum Regularly
• Make sure that you’re vacuuming instead of sweeping. Brooms kick up more dust than they remove, so when cleaning for allergies you want to be certain you’re vacuuming instead of sweeping. Vacuuming at least twice a week, helps you clean all your household floors and furniture. You should think about using a vacuum with a small-particle or HEPA filter. These filters are designed to trap tiny particles of pollen, dust, dander and so forth.
2. Dust Weekly
• A very important tip for allergy sufferers is to dust weekly using a microfiber cloth. Other dusters are like brooms, they’ll just spread allergens around the house. Microfibers are specially designed to grab tiny particles like pollen and dust.
3. Keep Windows Close
• We all love to invite the warm weather into our homes during spring and summer, however, its best that you keep all windows closed. Consider using your air conditioner in the car as well as at home to keep pollen and dust at bay. Myngoc Nguyen, MD, chief of allergy at Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, Northern California stated that “Using an air conditioner in your car can cut the amount of pollen you breathe by as much as 30%.”
4. Invest in Air Filters & Purifiers
• One of the most effective ways to remove pollen, dust, and other allergens from inside your home is to invest in an Air Purifier. Depending on the severity of your allergy’s, you may need multiple air filters placed sporadically around your home.
5. Avoid Scented Cleaners and Air Fresheners
• About 20 percent of the population and 34 percent of people with asthma report health problems from air fresheners. Air freshener fragrances can trigger allergy symptoms, aggravate existing allergies and worsen asthma. Consider DIY natural fresheners such as Lavender Linen Spray to freshen up your home.
OpenWorks is guided by a simple philosophy: A cleaner, safer and healthier environment means a more productive work place. For more information on how OpenWorks can benefit your facility, visit our website here.